Seven people have been killed and 48 injured in Saturday night’s terror attack in the London Bridge area and three male suspects were shot dead by police.
A white van veered onto pedestrians at about 22:00 BST on London Bridge before three men got out and stabbed people and headed to the nearby Borough Market invoking panic in the area among the public.
Soon after, when the police received more information about the incident, they advised TfL to shut down underground stations of London Bridge, Bank and Vauxhall and had sealed most of the SE1 area.
The incidents were declared as a terrorist attack by London’s Metropolitan Police 25 minutes past midnight and soon afterwards Mayor of London Sadiq Khan relased a statement saying:
“We don’t yet know the full details, but this was a deliberate and cowardly attack on Londoners and visitors to our city enjoying their Saturday night. I condemn it in the strongest terms possible terms. There is no justification whatsoever for such barbaric acts.”
There was no confirmation on who exactly is responsible for the attack but a witness told BBC News that he heard them shouting ‘this is for Allah.’
Mark Roberts, a witness told the Mirror:
“I was on London Bridge and saw a van coming across at high speeds swerving off the pavement. It knocked over several people and came within about 20 yards of where I was before it swerved across the road and directly opposite me knocked someone nearly 20ft in the air.”
“Within my line of sight there were five or six bodies that I could see on the ground, people who were not moving. Everybody gathered around to help them and now it is a mass of police and paramedics on the bridge.”
Attackers were armed with 12-inch-long knives and had shot gunfire to trigger fear in the pedestrians.
All three of the suspects had worn fake bomb vests and were shot dead by armed police within eight minutes of their arrival at the scene.
London Ambulance Services said at least 48 people were taken to six hospitals across London with one policeman to be among the casualties.
This was a third attack that Britain suffered in around three months and a total of 34 lives have been claimed so far. The previous ones happened at Parliament Square in Westminster in March and a suicide bombing at Manchester Arena in May.
Commissioner for Metropolitan Police, Cressida Dick issued a statement on Sunday morning at New Scotland Yard regarding the attack:
“We believe that this incident is under control. However, a large cordon remains in the area around London Bridge and Borough Market and there are many officers on scene, as we need still to carry out a thorough search of the area to ensure that everyone has been accounted for, and to make the whole area safe. I appreciate this has been a terrifying experience for many people, and I would like to thank the people affected in that area for their forbearance as we carry out our work.”
The general election will go on the set date of June 8 but parties have suspended their campaigns until tomorrow when the situation cools down. Prime Minister Theresa May gave her statement outside 10 Downing Street on Sunday Morning after commencing the emergency COBRA meeting for the country’s security concerns.
While world leaders have offered their condolences and support, president Donald Trump took this opportunity to get the international courts to allow the travel ban.
The police and and other authorities have been investigating the incident and have found some links to one of the attacker who is known to be of Pakistani origin. Several arrests have been made at his residence in Barking in east London. The latest reports confirm that 12 arrests have been made in connection of the attack.
More to follow with some vital information.